How I make time to read. {Tips}

16:04


A question I get asked a lot is "How do you find time to read so much?" The truth is I make time. Making time for myself is important. Life is stressful and loosing myself in a good book helps me unwind and relax. I love reading, it keeps me sane. I have three kids and a household to look after so making time for myself can be tricky and is not always possible - During the six weeks holidays I didn't have a lot of time to read. I often pick my books up and two pages in, I'll put it down because the kids need me or I'll be distracted with every day life and I don't pick the book up again for a few days (or sometimes - weeks).Take this past weekend for example. I was poorly with some kind of cold/flu/throat thing and I haven't read at all since Friday morning. I just haven't had it in me to focus on a book. I'll read again though, when I'm fully better and can focus better. I also suffer with anxiety and sometimes (not all the time though) I find reading can really help me relax.

Here are some of the things I do which allow me time to read.

  1. I read a lot on the bus. I don't drive and I live in the middle of nowhere. At least once a week I catch the bus to a bigger town, with a better supermarket (I can't afford my local 'supermarket' prices) which is a forty minute bus ride. I'm a fairly fast reader and I get a lot of reading done on the bus! I usually read my kindle on the bus. The kids are usually at school, so I have a Good opportunity to read. I'm gonna take it!
  2. I stay up way too late. And then regret it the next day when my alarm goes off at 6am. This is probably the time I read most if I'm honest. Still though, if it means I can read, it's worth it. I think. I love reading when the house is quiet and peaceful. Sometimes I find it hard to sleep (especially when it's too hot), I'll pick up my book and read, it makes me sleepy eventually.
  3. I take breaks during the day. After I've done most of the housework and I sit down for lunch, I'll read for twenty minutes before cracking on with more chores. It has been known where I've been so engrossed in the book I'm reading, I have got a bit carried away and not realised the time. Then I find myself rushing to get the chores done!
  4. Reading in the bath!! Yup, I read while I'm in the bath. I always fear I'll drop my kindle in the bath so I pop it inside a zip lock bag. It can be tricky "turning" (swiping) the page but it works! Kind of. I never can have a bath in peace, I now wait until all the kids are well into the land of nod before taking a bath otherwise I get 93258797 interruptions and if you have children, you know exactly what I'm talking about, haha. I usually end up staying in the bath way too long and therefore - refer back to number 2 above.
  5. Short stories - I read a fair few shorter stories and books that are easier to read because I know I won't always have time to finish a long novel. But. I feel like I need to be reading something and short stories are perfect for that reason. There's been times where it's taken me a month or longer to read a book because it's 500+ pages long and I just haven't had the time to read any more than 2 or 3 pages at a time. Same goes for shorter books... I don't always have a chance to read. Life is stressful and I get distracted. I often remind myself to make time to read. Even if it's just a few pages at a time.   
  6. Appointments. When I have an appointment or the kids have an appointment, I take my book or kindle with me. Not only to read on the bus (see #1) but to read whilst we're the waiting room. I hate waiting but if I've got my book, I don't mind, I'll happily sit there and read. Mind, I don't always get the chance because the kids can be noisy and complain about being bored. My daughter (she's just turned 9 years old) also does the same. She's a little book worm, too! My boys use to take a book with them but now they're older, they prefer fiddle with there phone or listening to music (with earphones! On LOW!) I'd much prefer them to read of course but you know... Teenage boys!! Anyway, waffling now... Moving on... 
  7. The park. If I take the kids to the park, quite often I'll pick up my kindle or book while the kids play. There's usually a friend or two the kids know at the park and they're happy to play while I read. Everyone is a winner. 
  8. I don't watch much T.V. I do watch Netflix occasionally but to be honest, I'd rather read. I have a whole list of movies and T.V shows I'd like to watch on Netflix but haven't got the time to do that AND read. I prefer reading. Although I do want to start watching 'Once Upon A Time' and I kind of miss Pretty Little Liars. So reading may have to take a back a seat sometimes. I'll add this in here too... If I'm honest, sometimes reading takes over and I don't blog as much. I will schedule a weeks or so worth of posts just so I have more time to read!
  9.  I'm a fairly fast paced reader. Therefore I can read a fair bit in a short amount of time. Mind you, it does depend on the book I'm reading. Sometimes I find myself re-reading the same paragraph twice if it's a complicated story. Sometimes my brain just will not absorb it and I find if I'm not really focusing, it's time to put the book down and have a bit of a break from reading. 
  10.  LET IT GO - Every day life and obviously I'm a mum of three - I'm always busy, there's always, always something to do, there's always something that needs folding or a dish to wash, a toy to pick up (the list is endless, I know you know what I'm saying. Even if you don't have children, life is busy, right?) but sometimes I just have to let it go and have a little time for myself, even if it's just fifteen minutes, fifteen minutes or even ten minutes to read  here and there soon adds up! And that fifteen minutes truly helps me, I know it sounds daft but after fifteen minutes of reading or -what I call - gathering myself together (lol!) I feel like I can get back to life again, haha. And that dish is still there, that towel that needs folding? It's not going anywhere. It doesn't hurt to take a few minutes out. As long as the kids are happy of course. Yes, I do find it hard to do this one sometimes but when I'm tired or stressed, feeling anxious or just feel like I need a little break, I make myself take that fifteen minutes (Sometimes I don't pick up a book, sometimes I'll just take a few minutes to gather myself and my own thoughts - this is important for everyone. Everyone needs time out. Whether it's reading or not, it truly will help you unwind, I promise! Just take a few minutes out for YOURSELF. Please, just try it)
  11. Audio books - I don't know if I should include this one in my 'list' because I haven't tried this one personally but I really like the idea. I've got friends who don't have chance to read much so they listen to the book instead. It's not the same as reading, it still counts though! I am going to give audio books a try when I start working out/jogging again.
So there you have it. Those are the things I do to make time for myself. To read. Like I say it isn't always possible and I do sometimes find myself in a bit of a reading slump or not in the mood to read. I think short stories are really my holy grail this year (any book under 300 pages, I class a short story. Remember, I am a fast reader!).

Do you have any tips to add to this list? What helps you personally relax and unwind? Let me know in the comments, I'm really interested to hear what helps you. 



Sarah xXx
You Baby Me Mummy

Linky

Read With Me

Mummy Fever - Share With Me

You Might Also Like

30 comments

  1. Great tips for reading more. I really don't read enough! I always use my waiting time at the doctors/hospital to read and when I travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always read in the bath. Its part of my pamper routine. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make sure I have a book when I am on the train/ going away and have waits in airports and flights. I need to make more time to read in the evening x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great tips, I love reading too. I set my alarm for half an hour earlier than I need to get up in the morning (although I'm usually awake before it goes off!) so I can read before I get up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips - I see where I am going wrong, I can't read on the bus as I feel sick, I work late at night and I have quick showers - no baths!! Love this post. Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Audio books are amazing for the car. I used to read novels a lot but recently have only read travel books. I am determined to change this though and just ordered The Girl On The Train. Can't wait for it to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant tips. I'm afraid I'm one of those who says I never have to time to read a novel (I do read newspapers and blogs). But you're absolutely right, the secrect is making the time! BTW, I've never thought about reading in the bath before - nice one! Tx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! One of my goals was to read more and I have been doing it! I can't read on the bus though as it really gives me a headache but i always try to read before i go to bed so i can chill out without my phone!x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bath is my favourite place to read for sure, it is the most relaxing way of switch off for me, and i really pay attention to story that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are fantastic tips and I'm going to implement them to find more time to read x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Public transport is definitely one of the best ways to encourage yourself to read more. I got out of the habit and started just messing about on my phone instead, but I've got back into it now and find it makes journeys feel much more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some good tips here. I read loads too, I don't tend to watch much TV so I read instead. Haven't got to grips with reading on a kindle device though, much prefer a paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know what, I must get into audio books. I spend so much time driving on school and pre-school runs etc I am missing a trick. Great suggestions! #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab tips but this is when I catch up with instagram :( I have so much going on in my life that I seriously have no much time for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These tips are great! I miss being able to sit and read all the time. I can't even tell you how long it has been since I had a minute to myself to actually read. Audio books are great! I recently had this realization that I have a 45 minute drive to and from work that is pretty much wasted time, so I started just listening to them in the car. The only problem is usually I get to work and don't want to go inside because I want to know what's happening! Another thing I try to do is to read on my lunch break. Great post. very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips I really need to read more often Thanks for linking to the #binkylinky come back next week please

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great post! This how to list was made for me as I need to make more time to read proper books. So time to take the Kindle with me to work and read more short stories x Sunita #TheList

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it's important to read in front of our children. If they don't see us making time to read they won't make time for it either.

    #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh I am an avid reader I read at least a chapter each night of the book I am reading without fail its my me time

    ReplyDelete
  20. I definitely stay up way too late!! Fab tips thanks for sharing with #ReadWIthMe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! I'm totally with you on the waiting rooms! If I've got a good book with me I'm sometimes disappointed if the doctor isn't running late! I always read while I eat my lunch when the kids are at school.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good ideas, and I like the idea that there is time, you just have to prioritise. Audiobooks are great. I used them whilst walking Little Bear through the park for his mid-day naps.
    #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great ideas and tips there. You have inspired me to make a bigger effort to set aside time to read. I miss reading. You are right; it's hard not not impossible. I never thought of audio books. Maybe they are the way forwards... #TheList

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm in the staying up way to late camp. I read a few pages every night before I turn my light off, it goes to a few chapters when it's as good book then I can't get up in the morning! #ShareWithMe

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love reading but very rarely find the time. The only real time I get is on car journeys when my husband is driving! I love to read so I really do snatch the moments where I can! #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the idea of audio books too. I found the radio frustrating due to interruptions but audio books are great. We actually use them in the car for the children. Now they are older it is great because we are listening to stories that I like too like The Hobbit or some of Terry Pratchet's books. Great post. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great tips, I miss reading books. Thanks for linking up to #TheList x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love reading, I tend to enjoy doing it whilst I have a soak in the bath, pure escapism.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such great tips! I always find it hard to find time for me and usually opt for the staying up far too late option! Although I do love your suggestion of letting things go too. #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great tips - I've always had to read so much for work that it isn't something I really do for pleasure. I use all my spare snippets of time on my blog. Thanks for linking to #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out to visit my blog and comment, I truly appreciate it. (Please do not leave URLs/links in the comments, thank you!)

Follow via GFC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Subscribe and Follow

Follow

My instagram.