Can I Let You Go? by Cathy Glass {Book Review}

19:44

I think everyone that reads my blog knows just how much I love Cathy Glass and her books! So when I was asked if I'd like to review a copy of this book, I of course said that it would be my pleasure. I have read all of Cathy's books (You can check out my reviews here).

Can I let You Go by Cathy Glass {book Review}

For all of you that aren't aware of Cathy Glass, she is a foster carer and has been for over twenty five years. She has fostered over 150 children and some of those stories she shares with us in her books. She also has three children of her own. She is amazing woman and I wish there were more people like her in the world.

'Can I let You Go?' is Cathy glass's new book and has only recently just hit the shops (September 6th 2016). I was ever so excited to read this book!

Genre: Autobiography/Memoir
Pages: 336
The Blurb:

"Faye is 24, pregnant, and has learning difficulties as a result of her mother’s alcoholism. Faye is gentle, childlike and vulnerable, and normally lives with her grandparents, both of whom have mobility problems. Cathy and her children welcome Faye into their home and hearts. The care plan is for Faye to stay with Cathy until after the birth when she will return home and the baby will go for adoption. Given that Faye never goes out alone it is something of a mystery how she ever became pregnant and Faye says it’s a secret.

To begin with Faye won’t acknowledge she is pregnant or talk about the changes in her body as she worries it will upset her grandparents, but after her social worker assures her she can talk to Cathy she opens up. However, this leads to Faye realizing just how much she will lose and she changes her mind and says she wants to keep her baby.

Is it possible Faye could learn enough to parent her child? Cathy believes it is, and Faye’s social worker is obliged to give Faye the chance.
"


I'll try and write this review without giving too much away. It's always hard to review books without giving away spoilers but especially ones I have thoroughly enjoyed and 'Can I Let You Go?' is no exception!

My thoughts:
'Can I Let You Go?' is a true life fostering memoir, Cathy shares her experience with us.

At the beginning of the book, we learn that Cathy's father has recently passed away, which I found quite sad as he has come into most (if not all!) of Cathy's books. My heart really does go out to Cathy and her family.
Cathy tells us the story of a young adult (Faye) she fostered. Faye is in twenty four years old but has the mind of a much younger person due to 'Foetal Alcohol Syndrome' (FAS) which causes many mental, physical and learning disabilities which are the result of the mother drinking alcohol whilst pregnant. Faye's mother passed away when Faye was just a baby, Faye was brought up and lives with her Grandparents in a block of flats. It isn't easy for her Grandparents to get out as they have health issues themselves and simply can't take her to her appointments whilst she's pregnant as they struggle themselves. Faye has decided to place her baby for adoption as soon as her baby is born as she simply can not care for a baby. She can't care for herself very well and is very dependent on others to help her. Nothing is known about the father of Faye's baby. Cathy takes Faye in whilst she is pregnant. Faye is a very sweet, kind natured young lady and fits into Cathy's home and family perfectly. Cathy's own children (who are young adults themselves) really love Faye and that shines through in this book. Faye doesn't really acknowledge her pregnancy to begin with and seems to ignore the fact she is indeed pregnant. Cathy and Fayes social worker do manage to explain to Faye that she is pregnant . Faye eventually decides that she would like to keep her baby and learn everything she needs to know. It isn't at all easy but with Cathy's and her social workers help, is it possible for Faye to keep her baby? Will she be able to learn everything she needs to know? And WHO exactly is the father of Faye's baby?

If you enjoy Cathy's other books, you'll certainly enjoy this one. I feel it isn't quite as harrowing or sad as some of Cathy's previous experiences that she has shared with us. It's sad in places of course - It's real life after all. It was very easy to connect with Cathy (as always) and I fell in love with Faye. The choices Faye makes are not easy choices for anyone to make! Faye is a very brave, strong young lady. I loved reading the update on Cathy's website. I feel this book has a good ending. I could have quite easily have read this book in one sitting had I had the chance. On and off it took me around 5ish hours in total to read. I found it hard to put down. It's beautifully written and easy to follow and read.
In th back of the book there is a section of suggested topics for a group discussion, I'd quite like to discuss those topics on my blog at some point (watch this space!)
I highly recommend this to anyone who loves memoirs and fostering stories. I think 'Can I Let You Go?' is actually one of my favourite books by Cathy.

I rated this book five out of five stars.

What have you been reading lately?

Sarah xXx


Read With Me

A Cornish Mum


I was sent a copy of 'Can I let you go?@or the purpose of this review. All opinions are my own, honest, personal opinions. I was not paid for this post.

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. Fab review and I forgot to check out the update so I'll do that! I loved Faye too you could really tell there was more to her underneath it all but as Cathy was saying being raised by her grandmother very likely has her set in certain ways xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My foster mum likes Cathy Glass, its great that you were unable to put the book down x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book! The one I loved recently and couldn't put down was Lie With Me by Sabine Durrant - highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love her books, my mum introduced me to them. Thanks for sharing with #ReadWithMe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of Cathy Glass but this sounds like a really good book. Will be on the look out for her #Readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incredible lady Cathy must be. I'm in awe of someone who finds time to foster and write novels!

    #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I love a good memoir style book. This sounds interesting. How do you find the time to read so many books. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not read any Cathy Gloss books before but this sounds like such a good read - thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  9. She sound like a wonderful person, and the book will be a very good and interesting read. I had not heard about her before. I love to read and will check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cathy Glass is one of my favourite authors. I have not read this one yet so will be keeping an eye out for it next time I am out. If you like cathy you should check out casey watson. They write similer books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard of Cathy Glass before, she sounds like a remarkable woman. #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always looking for new books and authors to add to my reading list. I am going to check her books out next time I am in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fab review. I would love to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of Cathy Glass before. I'll have to read up on her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh gosh, this book would probably make me very emotional. One of the students I worked with has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and it makes my blood boil that someone could have controlled his outcome and, instead, chose to prioritize themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book sounds brilliant, though sad in places. I can't actually remember the last time that I read a book sadly, I need more hours in the day. Thanks for linking up to #PicknMix

    Stevie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep adding books to my to read list and this one is now on it. I've started reading again recently so hopefully I will make my way to it eventually. Thanks for linking to #PickNMix
    Eilidh x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out to visit my blog and comment, I truly appreciate it. (Please do not leave URLs/links in the comments, thank you!)

Follow via GFC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Subscribe and Follow

Follow

My instagram.