February book reviews #50Books2014

15:31

Gosh, I am a bit behind on publishing this post! I didn't find very much time to read last month. Infact, one of these books I actually started middle of January and finished the first week in February. I need to find more time to read! Less time watching random T.V and more time reading I think! I am aiming to read at least four books in March to get myself back on track (wish me luck, haha)
 Here are my February book reviews.

 Breaking Twig by Deborah Epperson.

Southern fiction and Mother-Daugther Relationships

Set in rural Georgia in the 1960s, BREAKING TWIG is a coming-of-age novel about Becky (Twig) Cooper, a young woman trying to survive the physical and emotional abuse of her mother, Helen, a beautiful, calculating woman who can, with a mere look, send the meanest cur in Sugardale, Georgia running for its life. Not even Twig’s vivid imagination, keen wit, and dark sense of humor is enough to help her survive the escalating assaults of Helen and a new stepbrother, but help comes from an unexpected source—Frank, her stepfather. Sometimes, having one person who loves and believes in you is all a girl needs to keep hope alive.

Often raw and irreverent and sprinkled with all the Southern flavoring found in a good bowl of chicken and dumplings, BREAKING TWIG, is about finding love where we least expect it, destroying lives with easy lies, and realizing each of us determine our own truth. 


It took me a couple of chapters to actually get into this book but once I did get into it, I couldn't put it down! It certainly had it's up and downs but I really did enjoy it! I won't say too much about it because I know of at least one person's book list this on and I don't want to spoil it. All I'll say is though, give it a chance. It's a really good book and I am glad I read it! 
Four stars from me! 
(I read this book on my kindle. It was free when I downloaded this book)


Forbidden Strawberries by Cipora Hurwitz 


Cipora Hurwitz (Fela Rozensztajn) was less than six years old when the Second World War erupted. All at once the life of her tranquil family became a Hell. FORBIDDEN STRAWBERRIES is the gripping auto-biography of Cipora Hurwitz, an innocent young girl caught up in the Maelstrom of the Holocaust. Her eldest brother survived the war by the skin of his teeth by fleeing to the Soviet Union. The second brother was murdered when only sixteen. Her parents, by great efforts, succeeded in hiding their little daughter and thereby save her life. Devastatingly, they themselves were unable to escape the hands of the murderers. Cipora, as yet a young child and an orphan, was miraculously saved after surviving the Budzyn camps and the Majdanek extermination camp. The book ends with Cipora arriving in Palestine. The author relates the story of her life during the Holocaust to a delegation of American and Israeli High School students on a mission to the death camps in Poland. In FORBIDDEN STRAWBERRIES, Cipora presents her testimony on what transpired to her family and friends who were exterminated, thus paying tribute to their memory.

WOW. Where do I even begin with this book? Seriously, one of the best books I've read for a long time! This is a story about a girl who survives the holacaust. Having said that, you can probably imagine that is quite hard to read about the suffering and cruelty this girl experienced, however, I am very glad I read it! It must have taken a lot of courage to write and share her story with the world. I love the way Cipora has written this book, really well in my opinion and I am very glad I read this book! I give this book five stars. 
 (I read this book on my kindle!) 

Sarah xXx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for taking the time out to visit my blog and comment, I truly appreciate it. (Please do not leave URLs/links in the comments, thank you!)

Follow via GFC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Subscribe and Follow

Follow

My instagram.