The other child by Lucy Atkins {Book Review}

22:13

The other child by Lucy Atkins book review

"Sometimes a lie seems kinder than the truth . . . but what happens when that lie destroys everything you love?

When Tess is sent to photograph Greg, a high profile pediatric heart surgeon, she sees something troubled in his face, and feels instantly drawn to him. Their relationship quickly deepens, but then Tess, single mother to nine-year-old Joe, falls pregnant, and Greg is offered the job of a lifetime back in his hometown of Boston. Before she knows it, Tess is married, and relocating to the States. But life in an affluent American suburb proves anything but straightforward.

Unsettling things keep happening in the large rented house, Joe is distressed, the next-door neighbours are in crisis, and Tess is sure that someone is watching her. Greg's work is all-consuming and, as the baby's birth looms, he grows more and more unreachable. Something is very wrong, Tess knows it, and then she makes a jaw-dropping discovery . . .
"


I picked this book up in a charity shop along wit ha couple of other books. I love pre-loved books and they're so much cheaper, too. I also love rooting around in the charity shops looking for books! I found a lovely little note card in the book saying 'Enjoy your day' and 'Have fun', which made my day! I sat out in the garden reading my book while the sun was shining! I'm glad I did because it's all done the last two days is rain! Anyway. About the book.

Tess and Greg have to move from U.K to America because of Greg's job. Tess has only been married (and know) Greg a short time but falls pregnant with her second child. She already has a little boy 'Joe' who finds it difficult to settle into the new country and everything that comes with it. Tess struggles too, with having no friends close, no family and Greg is always working. There's something about her next door neighbour 'Helena'... I was gripped right from the beginning and just knew I was going to enjoy this book.
I thought there was probably more to Greg, I was right. I loved Tess's character. I honestly can't fault this book, it was very good indeed. Beautifully written and very easy to follow. I LOVED this book a lot. It was certainly a page turner, the twists are fantastic and I found it truly hard to put down. It's a great Fiction,  Psychological Thriller, I'd quite like to read more by this author.


Now, what do I read next? I'm looking for more psychological thriller books if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know in the comments.
 Or you can tweet me :)
 What are you reading at the moment?


If you'd like, you can follow my blog on Bloglovin and Facebook
Read With Me

You Might Also Like

22 comments

  1. This sounds like a really interesting book - I think I am going to have to add it to my to read pile - it sounds like one that I won't be able to put down until I am finished! And how lovely that you found that card. I have found some of my favourite books in charity shops

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo now you have me well and truly intrigued, off to pop this on my TBR list. Thanks for sharing with #ReadWithMe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good! I like a psychological thriller too. Have you read Gone Girl, The Girl on the Train, Disclaimer and The Ice Twins? They're all good psychological thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the kind of book I would really like. I am in the middle of one just now but will adding this to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this a few months back and it was enthralling, everything from the cover design to the plot really set the framework for my narrative feast. At the moment I am researching blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds greta! I love a psychological thriller. I love picking up a good second hand book cheap and loving it! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good book! I recently started a book club with friends and our first choice was Maestra by L.S. Hilton, I would definitely recommend that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't recommend any psychological thriller but I can highly recommend The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving A F*ck: How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do by Sarah Knight. It's a liberating read :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds brilliant. Im finding it hard to pick up a book and get into it atm. Having a toddler I know I won't have the time I need to emerse myself so I feel like not bothering :( those little cards are such a cute idea... I think everyone should do that and leave them places for people!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just from the snippet provided I am hooked, I so want to read this book so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to get all my books from the charity shop, these days I can't make it there so often which is a shame :(. I have to admit I always loved finding things inside books and wondering who left them behind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds fab - and how lovely to find those little notecards - what a great idea! Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds a really good book, just from your description I want to know what's going on! The little cards are a great idea, it must have been lovely to find inside :) I don't usually read thrillers so afraid I don't have have any recommendations

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just added this to my Amazon wishlist, it sounds amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  15. An interesting introduction which a huge depiction that every page will let you dig into it. More readings for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a good charity shop book! This one sounds good.. as an American living in the UK it would be interesting to read about the reverse!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a good psychological thriller, this sounds really good, I have just started the series by James Patterson, The Women's Murder Club, I'm on the second one, so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so good that you are sharing good reads, in my youth blogs didn't exist and I'd walk into a book shop hoping for a good read but be unhappy with my choice half the time! This sounds like a really good story that one can relate too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read this book earlier this year and loved it as well so good choice! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love looking through charity shops for as you call them 'pre-loved books' I am quite a keen reader and it's the perfect way to get new books. It is even better when you enjoy them so I am glad you liked this book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How wonderful that you found the book in a charity shop and the little notes inside are sweet, I love finding things like that! I'd actually love to read the book, it sounds quite interesting for once X X

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like a book I'd like to read. I'm currently reading Fever of the Bone which isn't bad. Annoyingly though I have to finish any book I start even if I'm not enjoying it lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out to visit my blog and comment, I truly appreciate it. (Please do not leave URLs/links in the comments, thank you!)

Follow via GFC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Subscribe and Follow

Follow

My instagram.