Whispering Hope {Book Review}

00:00


Whispering Hope by

 "At the conclusion of my discussions with one group of the Magdalene Women one of those present sang 'Whispering Hope'. A line from that song stays in my mind - 'when the dark midnight is over, watch for the breaking of day'.
Let me hope that this day and this debate heralds a new dawn for all those who feared that the dark midnight might never end."
- Taoiseach Enda Kenny's State apology to the Magdalene women.

On 19 February 2013 the Irish Taoiseach Enda Kenny apologized to the women who had been incarcerated in Ireland's Magdalene laundries. In the audience sat Steven O'Riordan, a documentary filmmaker and founder of the Magdalene Survivors Together group. And by his side, waiting patiently for the words they'd been fighting to hear, were some of the women he had helped.
For Nancy, Kathleen, Diane, Marie and Marina were confined in Magdalene laundries throughout Ireland during the 1950s, 60s and 70s. The harrowing physical and psychological abuse they endured in the institutions, run on behalf of the State, led to a lifetime of shame and secrecy.
Now, in WHISPERING HOPE, these women tell their stories for the first time. Their fight for justice and forged friendships has enabled them to move forward and have their voices heard, their individual accounts weaving together in an immensely powerful narrative that shines a light on a dark chapter in Ireland's history.
Inspirational and moving, this is the story of five women brave enough to confront their past and strong enough to not let it define them."
 source | Goodreads



You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. This sounds like a harrowing account of the womens' lives. I can't believe that the last laundry only closed at the end of the last century.

    #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of these launderies but it sounds horrific. Not sure it is for me, I find traumatic non-fiction very hard to read. Great review #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, I'm new to your blog. Is that 5 stars out of 5 or out of 10? I had never heard of the Magdalene women or laundries. I like books about history but this seems a bit too sad for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like both an interesting yet a difficult read. Great review. Thanks for sharing with #ReadWithMe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite like true life books and have read books before about this subject #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stories from the laundries are heartbreaking, so shocking that they were still operating in the 90s. Thank you for sharing. #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read a fictional book To The Grave which touched on something similar. I think I'd like to give this a try, but shocked to hear it carried onto 1996 #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched the film but suspect the book might be a bit much. So glad these women's voices are finally being heard and that things are being done for them

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this on my Kindle and ive found it really hard to get into, I might give it another try x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out to visit my blog and comment, I truly appreciate it. (Please do not leave URLs/links in the comments, thank you!)

Follow via GFC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Subscribe and Follow

Follow

My instagram.